Re: URL decomposition attributes on <a>, confusingness of references

On Wed, 26 Aug 2009, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> However, the name collision between markup attributes and IDL
> attributes. The spec should make sure to qualify as "IDL attribute" or
> "markup attribute" wherever there is potential ambiguity.

The terms I've used are "DOM attributes" and "content attributes". If
there's a case where there is ambiguity and I haven't qualified the term,
then please let me know.

I've fixed the URL decomposition attributes so they are always referenced
as DOM attributes.

> Another possibility is to use the term "property" to refer to IDL
> attributes, since they are reflected as JavaScript properties, and the
> chance of confusion with CSS properties is much less.

Confusing JavaScript properties and DOM attributes would IMHO be even
worse, given how much closer they are to each other than DOM and content
attributes.

> > The reader also has to follow the links to section 6.12.1 in order to
> > find the attribute definitions.  Has anyone tried to read this
> > document in printed form?
>
> I've always read it in online hypertext form, and often I have to chase
> quite a few links to fully understand how something works. I can't
> imagine doing that in print, where the links don't even link. Perhaps
> there should be a version for printing that includes a section number
> after each in-spec link (I imagine this could be generated
> automatically).

We already have this:
   http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/html5-letter.pdf