From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 12:06:22 +0200
To: "Steven Faulkner" <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>
Cc: "Bruce Lawson" <brucel@opera.com>, "HTML WG" <public-html@w3.org>, "W3C WAI-XTECH" <wai-xtech@w3.org>
On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 11:55:40 +0200, Steven Faulkner
<faulkner.steve@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi ann,

It's Anne.

> firstly sorry to answer a question with a question, but where is the
> rationale for allowing multiple headers and footers in a page?

 From looking at HTML5 I find this for <header>: "The header element can
also be used to wrap a section's table of contents, a search form, or any
relevant logos." <footer> includes an example containing multiple <footer>

> I have seen the data, from google etc, but there appears to be no data on
> authors using header and footer constructs in the way described in the
> spec.

I have certainly seen the <footer> construct in the wild. E.g. on

Not sure where the <header> pattern can be found.

> landmarks are navigational regions http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/aria/#region
> banner is defined here http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/aria/#banner
> contentinfo is defined here http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/aria/#contentinfo
> there is more detail here about structuring web pages using landmarks :
> http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/aria-practices/#kbd_layout

But these are definitions right, not why it was done this way?

> I am not saying that header/footer as specced should not be supported by
> AT but if they appear multiple times in a document they should not be
> considered landmarks and should be supported in a different way to
> landmarks.

I'm just trying to understand the rationale for why ARIA put the
restrictions the way it did, so that we can put them on the equivalent
HTML5 elements as well.

Anne van Kesteren