Re: Proposal: <content> element

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 09:55:23 +0200
To: "Ian Hickson" <ian@hixie.ch>, "Maciej Stachowiak" <mjs@apple.com>, "John Drinkwater" <john@nextraweb.com>, "Geoffrey Sneddon" <gsneddon@opera.com>, "James Graham" <jgraham@opera.com>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, "Steven Faulkner" <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>, "Lachlan Hunt" <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Cc: "HTML WG" <public-html@w3.org>
On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 02:56:41 +0200, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
> We already have a way to mark up the content that isn't the header,
> footer, sidebars, or navigation: it's the markup that isn't the <header>,

Yeah, so people will be forced to write crap markup:

rather than just:

Having said that, most people will probably use some variation of

   <section id=main>
   <article id=main>

which would be wrong.

Given that we cover 4/5 of the authoring practice regarding structuring
content we should just complete it in my opinion and not leave people
confused as to what to do.

Anne van Kesteren