Re: Normative Dependency and the Seven Drafts

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 06:51:31 -0700
Cc: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>, public-canvas-api@w3.org, "public-html@w3.org WG" <public-html@w3.org>
To: Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>

On Aug 27, 2009, at 12:47 AM, Robin Berjon wrote:

> On Aug 18, 2009, at 08:55 , Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>> On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 08:49:57 +0200, Maciej Stachowiak
>> <mjs@apple.com> wrote:
>>> The parts of HTML5 defining things like the Window object and
>>> origins could in theory be factored out, but it's decidedly
>>> nontrivial to do so.
>> I think it would be awesome if someone would take the effort to
>> split Window, origin, storage mutex, event loop, navigation, page
> Admittedly I haven't looked closely enough, but I thought that a
> bunch of existing documents were generated from the same source.
> Assuming that would be the right way to do it, what sort of effort
> would be involved in producing another generated document?

The things on that list are spread throughout the document, and have
not been very well factored from the rest of the content. Doing this
in a mechanical way would lead to a lot of two-way cross-references.
What needs to happen is to turn those things into a more self-
contained package so the references can be largely one-way.