Re: question about ARIA in HTML 5 spec text - implied use on elements not listed

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 08:43:38 -0500
To: Steven Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>
Cc: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, HTMLWG WG <public-html@w3.org>, W3C WAI-XTECH <wai-xtech@w3.org>
On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 8:35 AM, Steven
Faulkner<faulkner.steve@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Ian,
> can you tell me whether the restrcitions you have placed on the use of ARIA
> roles, states and properties on html elements are for authoring conformance
> purposes only or are you expecting browser vendors to implement these
> restrictions as well?

According to the note from the PFWG (not official yet, just a
summarization of what they felt was likely at the time), inherent
semantics win over ARIA states and properties (for example, @checked
wins over @aria-checked if both are specified on an <input
type=checkbox>), but lose to ARIA roles.  Strong inherent semantics
still lose to ARIA roles, but should trigger conformance errors when

ATs and such should respond to ARIA by those criteria.