Re: HTML5-warnings - motivations (was: HTML5-warnings - request to publish as next heartbeat WD)

On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 10:39 AM, Jonas Sicking<jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 8:22 AM, Manu Sporny<msporny@digitalbazaar.com> wrote:
>> You and Ian are questioning my motives for asking for the HTML5-warnings
>> document to be published as a WD. Rather than let you assert what my
>> intentions are, we should address these dubious claims head on:

>>>Here I think we see the real reason you are doing this.
>>> Henri Sivonen wrote:
>>> It seems to me the idea of the draft is to deliver
>>> html5-warnings-diff.html#microdata
>>
>> Both of you are out of line.
>>
>> You are also flat out wrong. It is no surprise that the HTML5
>> specification doesn't have more editors if even warnings about spec
>> language is met with these types of accusations. You undermine the HTML5
>> effort by doing so.
>
> For the record I agree that those comments were not helpful and would
> have strongly preferred if they had been left out.
>
> That said, I do agree with Maciej that the current set of warnings
> seem very arbitrary and would like to see some sort hard and fast
> rule. For example I think it would be better to mark up things that
> have turned into perma-threads, rather than attempting to mark up ones
> that might turn into perma-threads.

Ugh, forgot to include the initial reason for my message.

While I don't necessarily fully agree with your draft, the fact that
you have made a serious effort to produce a draft is enough for me to
support publication of it.

Like Maciej said in another thread on another topic, in collaborative
efforts such as open source projects I generally see two categories of
people, the ones that just complain and demand that things change
around them before they will constructively contribute, and the ones
that steps up to task and actually attempts to fix things. I'm very
glad to see that you belong to the second group.

Now you'll get to enjoy the privilege of dealing with people from the
the first group mentioned above :)

/ Jonas