Re: Feedback on the current editor's draft

From: Lars Gunther <gunther@keryx.se>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 05:52:29 +0200
To: "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>
On 2009-08-07 22:46, Adrian Bateman wrote:
> New section tags
> ================
> *<section cite="url">
>    Generic document/application section - cite attribute if content from
>    another page.
 > ---
 > It's not clear why these new elements in particular are necessary.

Extra functionality beyond div is how it affects the headers (h1-h6) and
makes contents cut 'n paste-able.

I wrote about it here:

As for the other new structural elements:

They were said to be based upon data mining of ids and classes. The most
often used ones were these. HOWEVER:

Are there any data that people who used e.g. "aside" as a class before
WHAT WG picked it up and turned it into an element, did so in a
consistent manner? Might it not be the case that there was an awful lot
of <div class="aside"> but a multitude of meanings?

Ergo: The fact that there was a lot of usage of specific id or class
names can not be taken as an indicator per se that there exists a
"cowpath" to pave.

Can anyone provide scientific data concerning this?

> *<nav>
>    A section with navigation links (uses HTMLElement).

I see a use case where this will make skip links redundant. However, we
already have aria roles that do the same. The one advantage I see is
that this element might see more use, being simpler to remember and type.

A discussion about the new structural elements should probably once
again look at the role attribute, which may be more "crufty", but is
more flexible.

Lars Gunther