Re: How did the summary attribute become part of HTML 4.0?

On Aug 7, 2009, at 2:16 AM, Henri Sivonen wrote:

> On Aug 7, 2009, at 11:38, Steven Faulkner wrote:
>
>> For people who have member access there is more info here and
>> discussion:
>>
>> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-hc/1997OctDec/0025.html
>
> Thanks. This one I hadn't found myself. The message has been sent
> after summary was already in a draft, though.
>
>> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-html-wg/1997OctDec/0077.html
>> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-html-wg/1997OctDec/0088.html
>
> These I had found, but they are comments *after* summary had already
> been put into a draft.

If anyone has direct recollection of the decision or can find other
directly relevant emails, that would be useful data. Likewise if
anyone knows about any usability studies that WAI may have done in the
course of creating WCAG or WCAG2, and whether they address this topic.

Some tentative thoughts based on the data presented so far:

1) We should make sure, for the sake of future generations, that
decisions relating to HTML5 are well-documented in the public record.

2) Perhaps <table title=""> could be suggested as a possible table
description technique. The issue with being limited to one line has
been fixed in modern browsers.

Regards,
Maciej