Re: WG comments, Working Drafts, and Last Call -- clarification please?

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2009 12:36:06 -0700
Cc: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>, HTMLWG WG <public-html@w3.org>
To: Shelley Powers <shelley.just@gmail.com>

On Aug 6, 2009, at 12:04 PM, Shelley Powers wrote:

>>> If someone publishes a Working Draft with many differences, can we
>>> discuss each, or is it a case of all or nothing?
>>
>> I don't understand the question.
>>

> Sorry, I wasn't very clear.
>
> Let's say an alternative draft changes how summary is handled, the
> microdata section, and various other pieces of the Editor's draft. I'm
> assuming we could propose the entire new draft, but we could also
> propose each section, by itself. One document, multiple proposals.
> Does that sound about right to folks?

I think people can discuss it any way they want.

But if the desire is to propose a change as a Working Group decision,
not just a Working Draft, then I think the Chairs ought to call the
question on each distinct issue individually. How exactly to put the
question is largely a matter of Chair's discretion, but I would
consider it questionable to tie many unrelated decisions together,
just because someone proposed them all in the form of a single draft.

Regards,
Maciej