Re: WG comments, Working Drafts, and Last Call -- clarification please?

Shelley Powers wrote:
> I followed the teleconference in IRC archives. A lot of stuff.
>
> Questions of clarification:
>
> Do we still have discussion when it comes to publishing a Working
> Draft, regardless of who publishes it?

Yes.

> Do we need consensus, or are all Working Drafts being published,
> unless someone actively protests?

No, we don't need consensus.  No, individual submissions are not
automatically published as Working Drafts.

The normal course is that in order to publish a Working Draft a Working
Group decision is required.  If the chairs can justify it, they can
authorize exceptions.  We could, for example, decide to simply publish
Ian's draft at this time.

> If someone publishes a Working Draft with many differences, can we
> discuss each, or is it a case of all or nothing?

No discussion is (or has been) forbidden.

I don't see publishing a sentence or a paragraph or chapter 4.9.2 "The
table element" as a working draft.  I can see (for example) either RDFa
in HTML as a separate draft from HTML5 OR as a part of HTML5.

> Is it true that the Working Group can't comment during Last Call? That
> we have to raise issues before then?

My reading of the processes and procedures document is that consensus of
the Working Group is required prior to Last Call.  I don't believe that
precludes people from changing their minds.

> If this is true, is Last Call still on schedule for October? Do we
> know when in October?

I do believe that Ian hopes to be ready for Last Call by October, but at
the moment, that's all it is: a hope and perhaps even an expectation.  I
will say that unless we get the PF Working Group to make an exception to
their current plans and procedures, Ian will not have the feedback he
needs[1] in order to address ARIA integration by that time.  Cynthia and
StevenF both indicated that they will look into it this week and will
report back on a request to expedite that one request in next week's call.

> Thanks for clarification
>
> Shelley

- Sam Ruby

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009Aug/0279.html