Re: summary attribute compromise proposal

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 2009 09:52:25 -0700
Cc: HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>

On Aug 5, 2009, at 1:22 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:

> Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>>> Even if it's set to hidden via CSS?
>> It's my understanding that, yes, there are ways to hide content via
>> CSS which will result in it still being presented by screen
>> readers. I don't know which exact techniques work and which don't.
>> I will do some experiments based on advice from colleagues.
> Could you elaborate why it's better to put a table summary into a
> CSS-hidden element, compared to @summary?

I didn't say it's better. I think the original point of departure here
was whether the visible summary techniques can be sufficiently
associated with the table by AT, and then I tried to answer follow-up
technical questions.

> Doesn't this simply rely on the assumption that AT doesn't implement
> CSS?

I believe the "absolute position far to the left" technique works in
all known AT for browsing the Web, including AT that works with a CSS-
capable browser. I think this technique is unlikely to break in future
assistive technology products, because it is well known as a popular
accessibility technique. For example, it is used as part of many image
replacement schemes (where text in the document is replaced with an
image via CSS).