Re: summary attribute compromise proposal

On Wed, 05 Aug 2009 04:09:55 -0400, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Aug 2009, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>>
>> Here is my proposal: [...]
>>
>> 2) HTML5 will not make any flat direct statements that summary=""
>> shouldn't or can't be used.
>
> I think we need to discourage use of summary="" to improve the overall
> accessibility of the Web.

And I think your interpretation of the data you know is wrong, so I
disagree with you.

> In every respect other than the various places in the proposal where it
> is suggested that we should not disparage summary="", I'm fine with it.

Note that I agree with the proposal whole and as is, but not in part - if
we are going to change it then we have to start getting consensus on a new
version.

Ian, are you saying that you will implement the entire proposal, whatever
you think of its parts, or that you are only prepared to accept the bits
that you like? As the editor, this is a pretty important question, and it
is not clear to me what you are proposing.

cheers

Chaals