Re: [DRAFT] Heartbeat poll

From: Shelley Powers <shelley.just@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 07:24:38 -0500
To: "Hallvord R. M. Steen" <hallvord@opera.com>
Cc: Shelley Powers <shelleyp@burningbird.net>, public-html list <public-html@w3.org>
On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 5:40 AM, Hallvord R. M. Steen<hallvord@opera.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 02 Aug 2009 06:31:07 +0200, Shelley Powers
> <shelleyp@burningbird.net> wrote:
>>>  we should not be limiting the information to specific groups of people,
>>> and should instead be making it accessible to all.
>>  Interesting that you see providing helpful material to those with visual
>> impairments as "limiting" the information.  Curious, and this is off topic,
>> but do you also find handicap parking slots to be limiting to those not
>> physically impaired?
> Space and information have distinct properties. A section of space can only
> be occupied by one single person, while a piece of information/explanation
> like a table summary generally increases its value the more people share it.
> Hence, a summary that's visible to all becomes more valuable - even to the
> visually impaired -

That makes no sense. The purpose of summary is to provide information
that's already available to the sighted in a format that makes that
information available to those with visual impairments. How it can be
useful to doubly present the same information twice to the sighted
makes no sense.

> You can not compare sharing information to sharing space.

But you can compare the concept of providing assistance to those who
need it, even though those who provide the assistance may not need it

> Sorry to follow up an off-topic comment (with a fairly obvious statement
> too). I'll go back to lurking.. :)

No, obvious to you, because you don't seem to agree with the necessity
of providing assisting technology or markup to those who need it. Not
obvious to me.