Re: My position (was RE: [DRAFT] Heartbeat poll - update 2)

From: Geoffrey Sneddon <gsneddon@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 2009 11:01:09 +0200
To: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>
CC: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Murray Maloney <murray@muzmo.com>, Shelley Powers <shelleyp@burningbird.net>, John Foliot <jfoliot@stanford.edu>, "'HTML WG'" <public-html@w3.org>, "'W3C WAI-XTECH'" <wai-xtech@w3.org>, judy@w3c.org, "'Michael(tm) Smith'" <mike@w3.org>, "'Ian Hickson'" <ian@hixie.ch>
Sam Ruby wrote:
> Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>>
>> I agree that the current publication decision is entering the realm of
>> the absurd. Process is ad-hoc, options are not clearly communicated,
>> and the rules seem to change from day to day.
>
> Let me recap.  I originally proposed that we simply publish Ian's draft.
>  That attracted 5 objections.  One is out of scope.  Two recommended
> actions that are not viable at this time.  One was resolved to the
> originator's satisfaction.  Each day, I showed slow but steady progress
> towards this goal.
>
> That leaves one objection that has been partially satisfied.
>
> Despite the objection being contrary to my recommendation, I do not
> intend to simply overrule the objection by fiat.  As they say in some
> Westerns, "first we have a fair trail, then we hang him"(*)
>
> I believe that it is important in the course of having a fair trail to
> let the plaintiff make their case in their own words.  You and I and
> others have suggested things, but in the final analysis it is up to John
> to make his case.  If a poll is required, then it is up to John to
> propose what the poll will be.

I do believe that objections _do_ need to be resolved, but I do not
believe that objections should postpone publishing a WD: a WD explicitly
notes that it may not enjoy consensus from the WG.

As I see it, we definitely should work towards resolving all objections
by LC; I don't think we should allow objections to postpone publishing a
WD, as if we do that, I doubt we will manage to meet the heartbeat
requirement.

--
Geoffrey Sneddon  Opera Software
<http://gsnedders.com/>