Re: Activation Behavior of video and audio

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009, Doug Schepers wrote:

> In looking into "activation behavior" for the DOM3 Events spec, I was
> reviewing the HTML5 spec.  Currently, the <audio> and <video> elements
> do not have defined activation behavior.
>
> I suggest that they should, and propose that the activation behavior for
> <audio> and <video> is to play if the media is currently stopped or
> paused, and to pause if the media is currently playing.

There is in fact a comment in the source of the document that says:

  <!-- XXX (awaiting more impl experience)
   default activation behavior is to do the play() if paused, pause()
   otherwise
  -->

The implementation experience that I am awaiting is basically, does the
above make sense? It would mean that the author could bind an access key
to the play/pause behaviour, but is that really useful, when the author
can just script the whole control if desired? It would mean that if the
author called .click() on the element, it would play/pause the element, as
well as firing an event. It would also mean that while every other control
could be controlled by the user agent (when controls="" is set) and the
author (via script), clicking anywhere on the video, whether the element
had a controls="" attribute or not, would always play/pause the video.