Re: Revamp HTML5 doctype sniffing?

Sorry for reviving this one more time.

Ian Hickson wrote:
> In conclusion, I do not believe changing the sniffing algorithm at this
> point would be wise.

In Opera 9.5 HTML 4.0 Transitional and Frameset doctypes with system
identifier also triggers Almost Standards Mode.

If the Opera team could share their experience with this implementation,
do you think the change could be made in HTML 5 as well?

One of my concerns is the confusion this inconsistency causes for
authors and beginners. HTML 4.0 doctypes are often used before all the
consequences of the doctype switch are fully understood.

Also, my own tests of about 100 websites using the doctypes in question
(taken from the list created by Philip Taylor) showed me, that those
sites won't be broken (only slightly in rare cases) if rendered in
Almost Standards Mode.
Actually, since non-IE browser's Quirks Modes are more standards aware
than IE's quirks mode, they already look as "broken" as they are in
IE8's standards mode.

So, imho, users wouldn't be influenced in their experience of the web.
According to the Design Principles this makes the way free to consider
authors over users.

Kind regards, ds