Re: Revamp HTML5 doctype sniffing?

On Sat, 4 Apr 2009, Daniel Schattenkirchner wrote:

> In Opera 9.5 HTML 4.0 Transitional and Frameset doctypes with system
> identifier also triggers Almost Standards Mode.
>
> If the Opera team could share their experience with this implementation,
> do you think the change could be made in HTML 5 as well?
>
> One of my concerns is the confusion this inconsistency causes for
> authors and beginners. HTML 4.0 doctypes are often used before all the
> consequences of the doctype switch are fully understood.

I don't understand the problem we're trying to solve here. Could you
elaborate? Why does it matter which way we go for specific DOCTYPEs, other
than trying to be consistent with as many browsers as possible?

Don't forget that HTML5 says that everyone should use "<!DOCTYPE HTML>",
which sidesteps the entire issue of what DOCTYPE to use and whether a
DOCTYPE triggers quirks mode or not.