Re: <q> vs <p>

From: Thomas Broyer <t.broyer@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 11:31:08 +0100
To: "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>
NOTE: I'm not argumenting, just sharing information (not an opinion).

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 5:19 AM, Jim Jewett wrote:

> Justin James and Robert Burns wrote:
>
>> >  Again, if <q> adds punctuation, so should <p> and any other element
>> > which represents grammar.
>
> Which other elements would those be?  I  think it would be stretching things
> Or are you counting <li> typically adding a marker/bullet?

In French, when the list is not made of sentences, when it is an
enumeration, a list item should end with a semi-colon, except for the
last one which ends with a full stop. In a nested list, items end with
a comma except for the last one which ends with a semi-colon ; the
item containing the nested list introduces it with a colon (i.e. it
doesn't end with a semi-colon or full stop as I said above, as those
characters are moved to the last item of the nested list).

Example: http://www.guide-typographie.com/ponctuation_Enumeration.htm

HTML doesn't mark up "language", it marks up semantics: a <q> denotes
a quote, so that they can be easily extracted:
http://labs.google.com/inquotes/ (In Quotes uses language analysis,
but if everyone were using <q> and <cite> the job would much easier);
and can link to the source of the quote (for UAs to provide a meant o
follow the link, and for robots to unambiguously associate the quote
and the quoted material –which is not possible with a bare <a>–).

--
Thomas Broyer