Re: UA style sheet for <q>

Hi Thomas,

On Oct 30, 2008, at 11:28 AM, Thomas Broyer wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 4:49 PM, Simon Pieters wrote:
>>
>> It's *|:lang(...) > q instead of q:lang(...) to handle quotes in
>> different
>> languages correctly, although I don't know if it handles nested
>> quotes in
>> different languages correctly
>
> Probably not, as I've been told (probably read on this list, otherwise
> during researches on the Web) that quotes from foreign languages in an
> English document should use English quotation marks (even at the
> second level).
> (I seem to remember someone thus proposing "html:lang(en)" as a
> selector to attach the "quotes" property to: html:lang(en) { quotes:
> """ """ "'" "'" } )

A third option that I raised earlier[1], is that the quotation style
should be localized to the user's preferred language locale. In other
words if a user selects US English (en-US), the stylesheet applied for
quotations would be different than if the user selected French (like
fr-FR). A multilingual reader may be familiar with quotation styles in
other languages, but may sill prefer the more familiar locale/cultural
presentation of quotations. This could be handled in a variety of ways
by UAs such as loading alternate stylesheets from localized strings or
assisting users in composing and editing their own user stylesheet
with important keyword entries. I raise this because I think this is
an ambiguity in how to attach presentation styles that may be best
left for the individual user to decide (with some sane and common
default).

It's important to keep in mind though that the compilation of these
rules Simon proposes is merely a default UA styling approach. Many
authors will want to customize the styling of their quotations but we
should be facilitating this for authors by providing complete
mechanisms that respect the separation of concerns. That is authors
should be able to achieve their chosen quotation styling approach
using stylesheets and without needing to further edit their HTML.

>> and it certainly doesn't handle French quoting
>> rules correctly, where the end quote and start quote should be
>> omitted when
>> split up: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angle_quotes#French
>
> Wouldn't it suggest the inserted text be marked up as a child of the
> Q, rather than really splitting the Q in two?
>
>   <q>C'est une belle journée pour les Montréalais<XXX>, soutient le
> ministre</XXX>. Ces investissements stimuleront la croissance
> économique.</q>
>
> which could be styled as (omitting language-sensitive information):
>
>   q::before { content: open-quote; }
>   q::after { content: close-quote; }
>   q XXX::before { content: close-quote; }
>   q XXX::after { content: open-quote; }

I think that is one approach that makes sense. In a way this approach
would be similar to other editorial comments that might be variously
styled within quotations such as:

A spokesperson said, <q>The cartel has no intention of gouging <span
title='them' class='editorial-insertion' >their customers</span> just
because of the current crisis.</q>

which might be rendered as:

A spokesperson said, “The cartel has no intention of gouging [their
customers] just because of the current crisis.”

with a floating hover view displaying “them” as the original
quotation. Again, such presentation might vary widely from one styling
authority to another.

However, for the French example an attribute or context might also
provide the necessary semantic hooks to enable a styling mechanism to
style correctly.

  <q quoteid='identifier1' cite='SoutientMinistre@min.gov.fr' >C'est
une belle journée pour les Montréalais</q>, soutient le ministre. <q
quoteid='identifier1' cite='SoutientMinistre@min.gov.fr' >Ces
investissements stimuleront la croissance économique.</q>

Such markup (or something similar using attributes) could provide the
necessary semantic hooks to indicate for styling mechanisms that these
two quotation fragments could be treated as one for the purpose of
styling (and therefore providing a CSS mechanism to optionally omit
the interceding quotation marks).

> But other aspects of French style are not supported either (not only
> related to quotations):

> if you choose to use guillemets for <em>s (<em> might not be
> appropriate here, but it certainly isn't a <q> either), is rendered as
> follows:
>
>   Il répondit : « Ce n'est qu'un « gadget ! ».
>
> (second 'close-quote' omitted)
>

> And of course, there's still the "problem" of "kerned" punctuation (in
> the first example above, the comma comes after the » while in en-US it
> would come before the ")

Russian also makes use of this styling convention.

Again for both of these preceding issues, see my earlier post[1] which
proposed some potential styling mechanisms to address these issues
(with nothing else necessary from HTML).

>> I was thinking of setting up a wiki page somewhere for this so
>> people can
>> fix and expand on it, if we decide to go down this road.
>
> I'm really not so sure <q> should generate quotation marks *by
> default*
> (and I'm sorry for the IE team, though I guess using "content:
> open-quote" without previously setting the "quotes" property would
> have the same result, i.e. use their language-sensitive defaults)

I've seen no one expound a compelling reason for not leaving quotation
styling to a styling mechanism instead of hard coding the styling in
the HTML document. Certainly authors have different views about what
style should be used for quotations, but that just further underscores
the need to provide sufficient styling mechanisms to meet authors
needs and to provide only semantic hooks for those styling mechanisms
within HTML (though authors would be free to follow a non-separation
of concerns approach as many do today).

Take care,
Rob

[1]: <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008Oct/0241.html>