Re: UA style sheet for <q>

2008/10/30 Thomas Broyer <t.broyer@gmail.com>

> On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 4:49 PM, Simon Pieters wrote:
> >
> > It's *|:lang(...) > q instead of q:lang(...) to handle quotes in
> different
> > languages correctly, although I don't know if it handles nested quotes in
> > different languages correctly
>
> Probably not, as I've been told (probably read on this list, otherwise
> during researches on the Web) that quotes from foreign languages in an
> English document should use English quotation marks (even at the
> second level).

Different publishers, etc., may have different house rules about this. The
important thing for HTML 5, I think, is to identify a convention that will
not come as a nasty surprise to most authors when they encounter it. The
best way I can think of to achieve this is to try to identify the most
popular convention, or at least an authoritative and familiar one (e.g. one
of those set out in the Chicago Manual of Style or the Oxford English
Grammar).

> I'm really not so sure <q> should generate quotation marks *by default*

Please consider the arguments I've advanced, in other threads in this
mailing list over the past week, in favour of <q> having default styling.

Regards,

Sam