Re: <q>

From: Sam Kuper <sam.kuper@uclmail.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 22:35:30 +0000
To: "Justin James" <j_james@mindspring.com>
Cc: "Daniel Glazman" <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>, "HTML WG" <public-html@w3.org>
2008/10/29 Justin James <j_james@mindspring.com>

> I found it on Amazon's French site. This book is 196 pages long. The idea
> that someone should need to read this book (in its original language) and
> understand it, all in order to implement the <q> tag is absurd.

I'm certainly not proposing that all UA authors *must* read the book to
implement the <q> tag well.

At worst, they'd have to read only a small part of it (and small parts of
comparable works for other languages too). But the best solution, which I
outlined previously in this thread, would be to make a pre-digested ruleset
(informed by the French standard and comparable works for other languages)
available as part of the HTML 5 spec, or referenced from it, so that UA
authors wouldn't have to go to (re-)interpret the typographical standard
source documents at all.

> And an author needs to do the same in CSS if they need to use a "grammar"
> that is not implemented by a browser vendor?

No, not at all.

Regards,

Sam