Re: HTML5 Specification - List of sections and corresponding work estimates

Upon further review I noticed some estimates that should probably be
revised down:

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008, Ian Hickson wrote:

> 2. Interaction events
>
> Scope: defining the relationship between user interaction (clicks, mouse
> movements, key presses, etc) and DOM2 Events, hit testing, and documenting
> any special behavior relating to HTML features.
>
> Skills and knowledge needed: JS, DOM, HTML, reverse-engineering browsers.
> Access to multiple browsers and platforms necessary.
>
> Estimated workload:
>  - 6 months at 40h/week researching, reverse engineering and specifying
>  - 4 months at 20h/week responding to immediate feedback
>  - 12 months at 5h/week responding to further feedback
>  - 24 months at 1h/week responding to further feedback

6 months for the initial research is probably longer than necessary. Upon
further thought I think 2 months is probably enough there, provided the
next 4 months do include further research in response to feedback:

  - 2 months at 40h/week researching, reverse engineering and specifying
  - 4 months at 20h/week researching and responding to immediate feedback
  - 12 months at 5h/week responding to further feedback
  - 24 months at 1h/week responding to further feedback

> 9. 2D Canvas
>
> Scope: correcting errors and adding new features to the 2D graphics API.
>
> Splitting this out would probably slow down HTML5 itself by a few weeks.
>
> Skills and knowledge needed: 2D graphics, JS, DOM, HTML (in particular,
> experience with the 2D canvas API), API design, reverse-engineering
> browsers. Access to multiple browsers and platforms necessary. Ability to
> tactfully say "no" a lot a definite plus.
>
> Estimated workload:
>  - 24 months at 20h/week researching, reverse engineering, designing,
>    specifying, and responding to feedback
>  - 24 months at 2h/week responding to further feedback

The above estimate assumes significant further work on canvas. If the
editor is able to say "no" to requests, which I think in this case is
highly desireable, then I would probably revise the above to:

  - 6 months at 20h/week researching, reverse engineering, designing,
    specifying, and responding to feedback
  - 12 months at 10h/week responding to feedback
  - 24 months at 2h/week responding to further feedback

The other estimates seem about right.