Re: <q>

Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> Lachlan Hunt wrote:
>> Note that I said that it should be based on what browsers do.  It was
>> not intended to be an idea for new rendering if it's not what browsers
>> already do.  As far as I know, by default browsers only render ASCII
>> quotation marks in all cases (either single quotes or double quotes,
>> depending on the nesting level), though I could be wrong. This would
>> need to be investigated when it comes time to write the rendering
>> section.
 >
> Since html.css just has:
>
>   q:before { content: open-quote; }
>   q:after { content: close-quote; }

Oh, but perhaps more importantly the default value used for the "quotes"
CSS property in Gecko if nothing else is specified is:

1641   // The initial value for quotes is the en-US typographic convention:
1642   // outermost are LEFT and RIGHT DOUBLE QUOTATION MARK, alternating
1643   // with LEFT and RIGHT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK.
1644   static const PRUnichar initialQuotes[8] = {
1645     0x201C, 0, 0x201D, 0, 0x2018, 0, 0x2019, 0
1646   };

which is also quite non-ASCII.  This has been the case
since Gecko 1.8 (Firefox 1.5, about 3 years ago).  So <q> in fact
produces non-ASCII quotes in Gecko by default.

-Boris