Re: <q>

From: Sam Kuper <sam.kuper@uclmail.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2008 18:01:09 +0100
To: "HTML WG" <public-html@w3.org>
2008/10/25 Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>

> But in any case, I would think that authors and users would both like to
> use CSS using :lang() as above to easily style their quotes.  So whatever
> solution we come up with should ideally allow that (perhaps also requiring
> them to explicitly style the :before/:after if that's the only way to make
> things sane).

This sounds essentially reasonable to me. How about having HTML 5 specify
the default CSS quotes property for every language in RFC 3066 (or,
alternatively, should another RFC (or suchlike) be started for the purpose
of specifying these), so that HTML 5 can reference it)?

On another note, I advise everyone here who hasn't read it previously to
read the following article: http://www.alistapart.com/articles/qtag .
Basically, it explains how to handle the kind of mess we should be trying -
in HTML5 - to head off at the pass.

Also, given that the :before and :after CSS pseudo-elements rely on the CSS
content declaration, this
table<http://www.quirksmode.org/css/beforeafter_content.html> may
be of interest.

Sam