Re: proposal to allow div, h1 .. h6 and section as children of list elements

From: Olivier GENDRIN <olivier.gendrin@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 09:54:48 +0200
To: "Toby A Inkster" <tai@g5n.co.uk>
Cc: public-html@w3.org

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 12:32 AM, Toby A Inkster <tai@g5n.co.uk> wrote:
>> This spectacularly fails the  Markup Duck Test which states that if it
>> looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck then it is a
>> duck: a list of paragraphs, each beginning with a number indicating the
>> order of the paragraphs is an ordered list, and needs to be marked up as
>> one.
>

> As I understand it, these are referred to as "paragraphs" by those in the
> legal profession, so surely <p> is a better element for the job than <li>?
>
> I think most of the cases your proposal covers can be solved by adjusting
> the markup, especially with the <ol start> and <li value> attribute.

I've got an other use case : the bible and its verses.

Would you accept a markup like :
<ol><li>In the beginning God created the heaven and the
earth.</li><li>And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness
[was] upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the
face of the waters.</li><li>And God said, Let there be light: and
there was light.</li>[...]</ol>?

The bible is not a "list" of phrases. The markup could be even more
complicated because verses are sometimes gathered in paragraphs...

--
Olivier G.
http://www.lespacedunmatin.info/blog/