Re: About video & audio elements

From: Dave Singer <singer@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 14:38:17 +0900
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, "public-html@w3.org WG" <public-html@w3.org>

>  > There's nothing stopping a container/codec with DRM from being used
>>  right now. I presume Saf 3.1/OS X plays FairPlay encrypted files right
>>  now. The spec can never require any DRM encrypted format to be used, as
>>  that would mean the DRM format being openly documented, making it
>>  entirely useless.
>
>Indeed.

No, both ISMACryp and OMADRM are publicly documented.  It is the
ability (or not) to get keys, and the tamper-proofing, that make the
system secure.  One does not achieve security through obscurity
(except for code obfuscation).

However, I do not propose that we adopt either of these, so it's
merely a point of clarity, not a debating point...
--
David Singer
Apple/QuickTime