Re: Splitting up the spec

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 15:06:31 -0800
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
CC: Jim Jewett <jimjjewett@gmail.com>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>

Julian Reschke wrote:
>> This is currently undefined and does result in browser behavior
>> actually being vastly different in how they process XSLT stylesheets.
>> For example, do scripts in the source document execute? And more
>> importantly, how is the output from the XSLT treated? I.e. is the
>> output tree displayed directly, or is it serialized and reparsed as
>> the new page. Turns out all other browsers than gecko based ones
>> serialize and reparse, and pages depend on that, those pages do not
>> work in firefox.
>
> Understood, and yes that's a problem (this is, for instance, about
> disable-output-escaping, right?).

That, and things like

<xsl:template match="...">
   <input type="text">
     Label here
   </input>
</xsl:template>

If you just display the DOM then 'Label here' part is not rendered as
<input> is a replaced element. If you serialize and reparse, the 'Label
here' part ends up being a sibling since the start <input> tag is parsed
as the whole element with Label here being a sibling and '</input>'
being an erroneous stray tag.

Yes, we have gotten bugs on people depending on that since it works in IE.

/ Jonas