Re: Splitting up the spec

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 17:52:04 -0500
To: Asbjørn Ulsberg <list@asbjorn.ulsberg.no>
CC: Jim Jewett <jimjjewett@gmail.com>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>

Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> Again, there is no need for the normative specification to be
> author-friendly.  In my opinion.

Just to clarify.  The specification needs to provide the functionality
authors need, and it needs to enable tools to be written that will
enable authors to author and others to view the stuff they've authored.
  If it's also very readable, that's great.  If it's less readable
because that makes things better defined or easier to deal with for
implementors of said tools, that's the way the leaning should go.
Making things more difficult for the spec's primary consumers (which is
not HTML authors themselves) to make it more readable for authors isn't
the right tradeoff.

Still in my opinion.  I've seen a number of people agreeing with this
opinion, though, so I think I'm not alone here.

-Boris