Re: setting HTMLMediaElement volume and playbackRate attributes

From: Pierre-Olivier Latour <pol@apple.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 09:10:19 -0800
To: Philip Jägenstedt <philipj@opera.com>
Cc: Eric Carlson <eric.carlson@apple.com>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
> If an UI handles |playbackRate| < x by pausing I don't think anybody
> would mind as long as x is small. But I suppose you're arguing that
> setting playbackRate to 0 should simply be allowed. I don't feel
> strongly about the issue, but if playbackRate 0 is allowed it should
> be
> well defined which (if any) events it fired.

I think it should just fire the regular "playbackrate changed" event,
like for any other value.

Having 0.0 be allowed for both playback rate and volume makes things
consistent: "pause" is a conveniency override of playback rate, the
same way "muted" is one for "volume".

Pierre-Olivier Latour - pol@apple.com
Rich Media Team - Apple, Inc.