Re: Should we Publish a Language Specification?

Ian Hickson wrote:
>> Why is a/@rel not useful for the browser platform?
>
> Some <a rel=""> values (e.g. stylesheet) are, others (e.g. tag) are not. I
> just meant to refer to rel=tag above.

You mean the actual string "tag" as rel value?

>> The latter ones are useful features of HTML5 as a document markup
>> language, so of course they should be in.
>
> One could also say that the scripting APIs are useful features of HTML5 as
> an application markup language, so of course they should be in too.

As an application markup language yes, as a document markup language, no.

> How do you draw the line between "document" and "application", especially
> given the state of the Web? Personally I think trying to draw a
> distinction is old-fashioned. The Web has moved on, even static pages have
> script (the penetration of analytics tools like Google Analytics and its
> competitors is surprisingly high).

I think the state of the web really doesn't affect that distinction, and
it's still a useful distinction to have.

>> I think I said before that in *my* opinion, forms submission could be a
>> separate module, as it isn't needed as part of the *document* markup
>> language.

I already said <canvas> doesn't belong into it, as it requires script
execution to be useful. I also talked about forms before; I personally
think the document markup language shouldn't include them, but I do
realize that this may be a minority opinion.

BR, Julian