Re: a/@ping discussion (ISSUE-1 and ISSUE-2), was: An HTML language specification vs. a browser specification

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2008 16:13:35 +0200
Cc: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>

On Nov 22, 2008, at 13:39, Julian Reschke wrote:

>>> [I see] an overwhelming number of comments that indicate it isn't
>>> desirable in HTML.
>> Volume of comments one way or the other is not a technical argument.
>
> But volume of comments can be an indicator of whether something has
> consensus or not.

Volume of comments is not a good indicator of consensus. A list could
have 2000 emails of 1 person disagreeing with 1000 other people. It's
a known[1] phenomenon that a small number of dissenters (even when the
small number is 1) can cause an appearance of a large controversy on a
mailing list.

(Assuming that consensus is  looser than unanimity.)

[1] http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4216011961522818645
--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi