Re: Why "Platform Core" and "HTML5" are in the same spec

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 23:40:32 +0100
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
CC: Nikunj Mehta <nikunj.mehta@oracle.com>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>

Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Nov 2008, Julian Reschke wrote:
>> Ian Hickson wrote:
>>> ... If I mentioned an editor for the SQL-related parts I was probably
>>> talking about an editor for the SQL language subset that the database
>>> section will eventually need to require for interoperability, as
>>> opposed to the database and storage section (which as noted, is mostly
>>> done already). ...
>> So these would be in different documents? Me confused.
>
> I expect when there are fewer more pressing matters (like the thousands of
> outstabding e-mails of feedback) that we can split out the storage section
> into its own document much like the workers section, and the "Web SQL"
> definition can live there. Or it could be is own spec. I don't really
> mind. It's mostly academic at this point.

Hu?

My impression was that we have a volunteer -- Nikunj -- and you just
turned down his offer. How is that academic?

>> That sounds backwards to me. How is the second implementation supposed
>> to come into existence then? Why not specify, implements, test, and
>> re-iterate that process?
>
> Sure, if someone wants to volunteer and wants to do it that way instead,
> then that's fine by me too. So long as the implementors are on board and
> we end up with interoperable implementations, I don't really care how it's
> done.

Aha. We have a volunteer, as far as I understand, and judging from his
email address, a likely competent one. Why would implementors be not on
board, if their feedback is treated as it should?

Best regards, Julian