Re: An HTML language specification

On Nov 20, 2008, at 7:55 AM, Mark Baker wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 10:39 AM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
> wrote:
>> A related question here.  Is the problem the use of the DOM per se,
>> or the
>> general use of a tree structure for defining containment
>> relationships?
>> That is, is the problem the specific model, or the general type of
>> model
>> used?
>
> To keep things simple, I'll just say that I would prefer no model be
> used.

I can see how you can define the semantics of individual elements and
their attributes without reference to a model. But I do not see how
parsing or processing requirements can be, nor how semantics based on
structure can be. Containment relationships are not inherent in markup
syntax, they must be described by some tree model.

> Geoffrey Sneddon writes;
>> How do you want the language to be defined?
>
> Declaratively, in prose.

HTML5 is indeed defined in prose, unlike many other languages where
important normative requirements are delegated to a DTD or schema.

Regards,
Maciej