Re: An HTML language specification

Henri Sivonen wrote:
> How would Mozilla work have benefited from the parsing algorithm being
> in a different document?

I was thinking of the frequent request for DOMParser to handle
text/html. For this use, you probably don't want scripts executing, but
you probably don't want <noscript> parsing either. This desired tree
output is similar to server side uses I've observed.

The Mozilla work would have benefited from a clear, complete, and
finished document on HTML parsing and tokenization. I don't see why this
document needs to be tied to a SQL API.

Really, it's the publication schedules and revisions that are
interesting, not the division of the document. I think this is obvious
though, and I find all of the word games about "separate documents" to
be quite counterproductive.

> Should the HTML5 spec specify how to sanitize HTML as it appears in
> RSS or Atom feeds for insertion into a different-origin DOM?

I don't think the HTML5 spec needs to widen its scope.

>>>  ... It's not horribly intertwined but there are some dependencies ...
>> I agree. That's why I don't think splitting parsing *and* vocabulary
>> into a separate document is unreasonable on its face.
>
> I don't find it unreasonable on its face. (For MathML and SVG
> elements, text/html parsing and the vocabulary are already in separate
> documents.) However, I think here we should allow the person who does
> the work use the spec organization that suits his work pattern,
> because having the parsing and vocabulary in the same document isn't
> unreasonable on its face, either.

Isn't this whole thread an uproar about someone else doing some work?
What if someone proposed taking some of these not horribly interwined
sections and putting them in a separate document (and doing the work)?
Is that heretical?

- Rob