Re: Why "Platform Core" and "HTML5" are in the same spec

Nikunj Mehta wrote:
> Feedback from implementors *must* be taken in to account. However, I did
> not know that there is a requirement that HTML5 cannot break itself
> /yet/. Of course, care must be taken that any damage is controlled, but
> I would like to clarify what the W3C process around editing the draft is.

Yup, several parts of HTML5 have been so interesting that multiple
implementations already exist. One of the biggest success stories is
postMessage which I think all of IE, Firefox, Safari, Opera, and Chrome
all have implementations in stable or beta releases.

The application offline spec I think also has two implementations, one
in Webkit and one in Firefox.

The W3C process still does allow for the spec to change at will given
the early stage the HTML5 draft is in. However making any changes at
this point would be very impractical and probably delay deployment
significantly (about a year for Firefox).

/ Jonas