Re: An HTML language specification vs. a browser specification

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 11:19:28 +0200
Cc: HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>

On Nov 19, 2008, at 09:40, Julian Reschke wrote:

> What I find unreasonable is to require somebody to invest a huge
> amount of time when the result likely would be "nice try, but now go
> away".
> So an attempt to do a split should have the backing of the WG before
> a significant amount of time is spent.

On the other hand, suggesting the WG take an editor without a proven
track record risks the the WG investing a huge amount of time in an
exercise that fails. I think it's more important to protect the spec
development as a whole against waste than it is to protect aspiring
individuals against waste, even though that's not nice from the point
of view of the individuals.

Henri Sivonen