Re: Almost Standards Mode still needed?

Henri Sivonen wrote:

> If you consider the Quirks Mode, Almost Standards Mode and Standards
> Mode in Gecko/Opera/WebKit, the one whose elimination would cause the
> least disruption would be the Standards Mode (if made behave as Almost
> Standards). However, at this stage, there's reluctance to changing the
> modes. (Simon Pieters suggested making the Standards Mode behave like
> the Almost Standards Mode in
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2008May/0266.html but the
> reception wasn't enthusiastic.)

Hm, the one quirks everyone seems to agree on is the table-cell
shrink-wrap. As far as I can see, IE keeps the correct line model in
"Almost Standards Mode" unlike for example Mozilla which uses its Quirks
Mode line model in ASM.

So probably the spec doesn't necessarily need to be changed. Maybe
another exception rule for (X)HTML should be created instead (like there
is for the body element).

Probably something like (simplified) td > img:only-child { display:
block; /* or */ vertical-align: bottom; } would be sufficient, depending
on how far the quirks actually goes.

Of course you're right, every change needs testing, but we (or rather
the CSS WG?) should eventually decide to do something concrete.

Kind regards.