Re: "HTML: The Markup Language" (draft attempt an "HTML producers" spec)

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 15:01:07 -0500
To: "Michael(tm) Smith" <mike@w3.org>
Cc: public-html@w3.org

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 2:45 PM, Michael(tm) Smith <mike@w3.org> wrote:
> It's intentional that the current draft does not attempt to do
> that. It is in part an attempts to keep the scope as tightly
> constrained as possible by not dealing at all with how to consume
> HTML content.

I understand.  The draft is quite clear about that.

>> For that to happen, the HTML 5 parser specification would need
>> to be included.
>
> If the HTML5 parser specification to be included here it would
> end up being a different spec. For one, it would require also
> bringing in or normatively referencing other parts of the HTML5
> draft that the parser specification depends on. As it is currently
> scoped, this "producers" spec does not have those
> dependencies / need for normative references.

I don't believe there should be a "producers spec" and a "consumers
spec".  I believe there should be a single "language spec" - in the
same vein as HTML 4, CSS, SVG, etc..  What you've got is closer to a
language specification than the current HTML 5 WD, but it falls short
in the way I previously described.

I understand that a language spec wasn't your intention, but that's
the best way forward IMO.

Mark.