Re: Comments on HTML WG face to face meetings in France Oct 08

From: Philip TAYLOR <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 16:33:39 +0000
To: noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com
CC: Dean Edridge <dean@dean.org.nz>, public-html <public-html@w3.org>, www-tag@w3.org

noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com wrote:

[A great deal of common sense]

Hear hear, Noah : I had begun to wonder if I was alone in
these views.  There is (I think) just one place where
I would want HTML 5 to be more strict than you.
You are (I think) happy to allow unquoted values
for attributes; I would prefer to /require/ quotation
marks around strings, but to disallow them elsewhere.
This would allow an HTML 5 parser to more easily
be able to differentiate between a string (qua string)
and keyword.  Strings could legally contain anything,
whilst the set of valid keywords would be defined by
the specification.  Numeric values would similarly be
unquoted in my "ideal" world.

Philip TAYLOR