Re: The compatibility DOCTYPE

Leif Halvard Silli wrote:

> Proposal: Recursive doctype.
>
>     <!DOCTYPE html public "DOCTYPE html">
>
> Alternative proposal: The even more recursive, and very difficult to
> hand author doctype.
>
>     <!DOCTYPE html public "&lt;!DOCTYPE html&gt;">
>
> This doctype would be super non-cool since you could only safely use it
> with the help of an automatic tool, because:

With respect, such doctype is not "super non-cool" but simply silly as
it doesn't follow neither rules for proper public identifier nor it
shows that its in HTML5 only to accommodate legacy content producers.

> Would XSLT tools etc have problems generating such a doctype?

I suppose that there might be differencies in serializing < and >
characters between implementations as such characters are usually not
part of public identifier.

				Jirka