Re: <q> vs <p>

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 14:58:05 +0000 (UTC)
To: "Philip TAYLOR (Ret'd)" <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>
Cc: Sam Kuper <sam.kuper@uclmail.net>, Jim Jewett <jimjjewett@gmail.com>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>

On Fri, 31 Oct 2008, Philip TAYLOR (Ret'd) wrote:

> Are we not, once again, beating ourselves over the head with a problem
> that would not even exist if HTML 5 were not required to be
> backwards-compatible ?

Yes.

> If browsers (user agents, if you prefer) were to have an HTML 5 mode of
> operation and a legacy mode of operation, this and many many analogous
> problems would immediately disappear.

Indeed. (Though they would be replaced by other problems.) The W3C is
trying both approaches, the backwards-compatible one with HTML5, and the
dual-mode one with XHTML2. I encourage people interested in pursuing the
dual-mode idea to join the XHTML2 working group. The backwards-
compatibility direction is a fundamental principle of the HTML5 work.