Re: <ruby>, etc. in HTML5

Hi Anne,

On May 26, 2008, at 6:27 PM, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> It seems Ian didn't e-mail public-html@w3.org about the recent
>
>  http://html5.org/tools/web-apps-tracker?from=1703&to=1704
>  http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/section-text-level.html#the-ruby
>
> Maybe this reduces the concern from Robert Burns somewhat.

Not really. The draft we were voting on is version 1.822[1] or later
version. That version has no ruby section in it (though ruby is
included in the parsing algorithm, but I think that's been there for a
while). Now, the "or later version" language opens up the possibility
that it could be tacked on in a rushed way, but I don't think that's a
good way to get the next draft out of the door.

Secondly, ruby was just an example I was giving. There have been many
other large proposals made in the WG, that have gotten short shrift
and need to be addressed in the draft. Developers are anxious to begin
experimental implementation of HTML5 features and I think focussing on
getting the big ideas out the door is more important than all of the
little tweaks to the language that will inevitably happen with
feedback and in time. To facilitate the process it's important to get
the big things in the draft as an indication to implementation
developers where the draft is headed.

Take care,
Rob

[1]: <http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/html5/spec/Overview.html?rev=1.822