Re: Subdocument fragments in a compound document (part of detailed review of documents and document framegents)

From: Geoffrey Sneddon <foolistbar@googlemail.com>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 11:56:06 +0100
Cc: public-html@w3.org
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>

On 9 May 2008, at 07:08, Ian Hickson wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Jul 2007, Geoffrey Sneddon wrote:
>>
>> XHTML5 currently allows a single element in a subdocument fragment:
>> invalid, as RFC4287 requires a single xhtml:div element. Is there any
>> reason to disallow this? The logical thing would be to allow <html>
>> for
>> full document fragments, and <div> for body fragments.
>
> Right now the spec allows <div> anywhere that flow content is
> expected.
>
> I don't really understand why this conflicts with Atom.

Currently the only element allowed "wherever a subdocument fragment is
allowed in a compound document" is the html element. RFC4287 mandates
that within an Atom document, for an XHTML text construct, it must
have a single div element as the content. As HTML 5 only allows the
html element in such a situation, this makes the XHTML fragment within
an Atom document non-conforming.

--
Geoffrey Sneddon
<http://gsnedders.com/>