Re: [html4all] HTML5 Alternative Text, and Authoring Tools

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Sat, 03 May 2008 12:16:22 +0200
To: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
CC: James Graham <jg307@cam.ac.uk>, Steven Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, John Foliot <foliot@wats.ca>, HTML4All <list@html4all.org>, public-html@w3.org, W3C WAI-XTECH <wai-xtech@w3.org>

Henri Sivonen wrote:
>> In doubt, the default should be not to change HTML4.
>

> FWIW, I have a different view of what to do when in doubt:
>
> When in doubt, do what doesn't cause harm.
>
> I think experience (yes, not written down quantitatively) with HTML4
> validation shows that casting an *accessibility* requirement into a
> simplistic presence/absence *syntax* requirement does both good (reminds
> some people to provide useful alt who somehow wouldn't otherwise) and
> harm (induces people to pollute non-graphical presentation with
> duplicate data, useless data like "image" or make the context less
> understandable by concealing the presence of images).

Just for the record: I was talking about what I think should be the default.

In *this* case (alt attribute), I agree that this is a good change.

BR, Julian