Re: [html4all] HTML5 Alternative Text, and Authoring Tools

The bad as stated below comes down to choice.  Well informed and authors who
care and or are allowed or encouraged, payed to care and well designed tools
can mittigate this as well as the validator.  So, we are left then with:

<mesage snip>
casting an *accessibility* requirement into a
simplistic presence/absence *syntax* requirement does both good
(reminds some people to provide useful alt who somehow wouldn't
otherwise)
<end>

The state we are in today has little to do with the requirement but much to
do with the way it was implemented in terms of presentation.  The only way I
see around the bad other than continuing progress to decrease it through
machining and education etc is to find a new attribute or even and element
if you will that does one of two things.  It either adds to the current set
or replaces the thorn in such a way as to pre-empt the bad.  It comes down
at least in part to one thing.  <tooltip> is good, although somewhat
missplaced. alt used as <tooltip> is almost always a bad thing.  No, I have
no hard data, but I do know that many people I talk too seemed to think that
they had to do something with that blank tooltip.

One final note: Making alt a requirement for accessibility without providing
for a means to accomplish the end e.g. making it valid and correct.  does no
one no good.