Re: Error handling for SVG and MathML in HTML

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 13:06:52 +0100, Sam Ruby <rubys@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> Erik Dahlström wrote on 03/19/2008 05:08:25 AM:
>> I agree that nothing should prevent you from using correct SVG fragments
>
>> inline in html.
>
> Agree in principle, but "nothing" is too strong.  Requiring HTML to
> support
> "<!ENTITY>" may not be necessary or appropriate.

Agreed. I'll try to clarify what I meant with "correct SVG fragments".

I find it an acceptable trade-off that not every single SVG ever created
can be copy-pasted into an HTML document. However, any valid SVG document
fragment that doesn't depend on having XML PI:s or DOCTYPEs prior to the
root svg element to be a fully XML-wellformed SVG document, should be
copy-pastable into HTML and should work IMHO. Or in other words: if you
can copy-paste the svg root (and its children) into a new empty document
and that is still a valid SVG document, then it should also be work when
pasted into an HTML document.

This is similar to how SVG inline in any other XML markup would work
anyway, that is: you can't put XML PI:s in the middle of the document. I
think it's a non-goal to allow that. If you need that then you should use
an external file, plain and simple. The same argument holds for DOCTYPE as
well.

So, given these constraints, is "nothing" still too strong? :)

Cheers
/Erik

Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group