Re: Error handling for SVG and MathML in HTML

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 17:02:38 +0200
Cc: "Simon Pieters" <simonp@opera.com>, "Ben Boyle" <benjamins.boyle@gmail.com>, Erik Dahlström <ed@opera.com>, "HTML WG" <public-html@w3.org>, public-html-request@w3.org
To: Sam Ruby <rubys@us.ibm.com>

On Mar 19, 2008, at 15:13, Sam Ruby wrote:
> OK, then I will simply point to correct SVG fragments that conform
> to the "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1 plus MathML 2.0 plus SVG 1.1//EN" DTD:
>
> http://golem.ph.utexas.edu/~distler/blog/archives/001475.html
>
> Note the use of prefixes.  A use that is mandated by the DTD.

I think being compatible with the usual output from Illustrator
(copying and pasting the <svg> tree--not the prolog cruft) is more
important than being compatible with a relatively obscure DTD. Those
prefixes are not there because of SVG editors or renderers. They are
there because of limitations of DTDs. DTDs are dead as far as HTML5 is
concerned.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi