Re: SVG and MathML in text/html

Hi, Geoffrey-

Geoffrey Sneddon wrote (on 3/15/08 12:12 PM):

> On 15 Mar 2008, at 15:16, Ben Boyle wrote:
>
>> These things are authoring nightmares. Just don't do it. Consistency
>> please!
>
> You can't plain have consistency: you need to be inconsistent somewhere.
>
> There are two options as I see it:
>
> 1) We remain consistent with SVG/MathML elsewhere, and require it to be
> well-formed XML within HTML, and refuse to render them if they are
> ill-formed.
>
> 2) We remain consistent with HTML, and have full non-draconian
> error-handling.
>
> The two are mutually exclusive. As we are dealing with HTML, I'd much
> rather see HTML remain consistent (i.e., option 2) and not go against
> the basic principles it relies on (e.g., not dying on an error).

No, there's a third way.  Have non-draconian error handling that does
not cause the parser to halt, but which does ensure that SVG that
wouldn't work in existing SVG UAs doesn't render in HTML5 UAs.  It would
still be parsed, put into the DOM, but attributes with unquoted values
(and the rest of that element) aren't rendered.  That way SVG isn't
fractured, and it doesn't break the error recovery of HTML for non-SVG
elements.

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG, CDF, and WebAPI