Re: ISSUE-48 (marks-content-markup-attribute): 'marks' content markup attribute for Q (quotation) and BLOCKQUOTE [HTML 5 spec]

From: Olivier GENDRIN <olivier.gendrin@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 14:25:01 +0200
To: "Robert J Burns" <rob@robburns.com>
Cc: "HTML Issue Tracking WG" <public-html@w3.org>

Hi Robert,

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 12:56 PM, Robert J Burns <rob@robburns.com> wrote:
> My intent with this CSS declaration is to remove all such quotation (to
> override with the cascade) regardless of nesting regardless of language.
> Would the language selector get ranked above the attribute selector in the
> cascade?  Would marking it as !important do the trick? I'm not an expert on
> the practicalities of CSS and I haven't tested this, but I believe that's
> all that would be required for an implementation already handling quotations
> in the prescribed way.
>
> I see too that you're responding to my erroneous CSS where it look like I"m
> trying to handle both the provided and the needed attribute values. My
> intent was simply to override the already existing CSS declaration when
> those handle inserting quotations for Q elements.
>
> Take care,
> Rob

Oh, ok, I misundestood your proposal. So you made a mistake in the CSS
rule. You wrote q[marks=provided]::before, q[marks=needed]::after
{content: "";} but you meant q[marks=provided]::before,
q[marks=provided]::after {content: "";}.

(Note that nested multiple languages quoting can't be handled now with
existing CSS rules, we are missing a pseudo-selector like '::closest'.
But this particular issue is for the CSS WG.)

--
Olivier G.
http://www.lespacedunmatin.info/blog/