Re: ISSUE-48 (marks-content-markup-attribute): 'marks' content markup attribute for Q (quotation) and BLOCKQUOTE [HTML 5 spec]

Hi Olivier,

On Jun 3, 2008, at 10:59 AM, Olivier GENDRIN wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 2:09 PM, Robert J Burns <rob@robburns.com>
> wrote:
>> Well why don't you tell me how you're using it here. As I've said
>> already
>> this requires a single CSS declaration in the UAs default
>> stylesheet for UAs
>> that support CSS ::before and ::after selectors.
>>
>> q[marks=provided]::before,
>> q[marks=needed]::after {
>>       content: "";
>>
>> }
>>
>> Is that what you mean by implementation? Is that what you mean by
>> implementation complexity?
>
> The rules to write are a little bit more complicated to wrote if you
> take into account nested quotes and I18n issues (there is two
> quotations marks in French, &laquo;/&raquo; and &ldaquo/&lraquo; for
> nested quotations). And nested multilingual quotation are even more
> difficult to handle.

My intent with this CSS declaration is to remove all such quotation
(to override with the cascade) regardless of nesting regardless of
language. Would the language selector get ranked above the attribute
selector in the cascade?  Would marking it as !important do the trick?
I'm not an expert on the practicalities of CSS and I haven't tested
this, but I believe that's all that would be required for an
implementation already handling quotations in the prescribed way.

I see too that you're responding to my erroneous CSS where it look
like I"m trying to handle both the provided and the needed attribute
values. My intent was simply to override the already existing CSS
declaration when those handle inserting quotations for Q elements.

Take care,
Rob